The following conditions predispose you to categoricitis and this can be very bad for your savings:
- baby boomer
- you were a programmer once or you made money from that
- you are a known researcher but your last original idea was last century
- interested in pop science
- you think an explanation by words can be shorter than one by mathematics
- don’t know mathematics at the researcher level
- you think you’re smart
- you are all about internet, decentralization and blockchains
- you believe in ether or may have pet alternative theories about the universe
- you are not averse to a slight cheating, if this is backed by solid institutions or people.
More of these conditions present, more are you at risk.
(If you work in the money business then you are immune. For you, those people with categoricitis are a golden opportunity.)
The most dangerous is when you feel the need to be blockchain cool, but you missed the Bitcoin train. Your categoricitis is then grabbing you, making you smell like money. You feel the need to invest. Hey, what’s the problem? Is backed by math, banks and M$.
You’ll be relieved rather sooner than later 🙂